Plugin / Archived Post Status

Frankie Jarrett

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

This plugin does not have a settings page. Simply put, I don’t like bloating my plugins with a bunch of options. Instead, I try to develop functionality using the 80/20 principle so that for 80% of use cases you all you need to do is activate the plugin and it “just works”. For the other 20% of you who want things to behave differently there are numerous hooks available in the plugin so you can customize default behaviors. Many of those hooks are listed below in this FAQ.
This is most likely because you are viewing your site while being logged in as an Editor or Administrator. By default, any user with the read_private_posts capability will see Archived posts appear on the front-end of your site. You can change the default read capability by adding this hook to your theme’s functions.php file or as an MU plugin: function my_aps_default_read_capability( $capability ) { $capability = 'read'; return $capability; } add_filter( 'aps_default_read_capability', 'my_aps_default_read_capability' );
Yes, simply add these hooks to your theme’s functions.php file or as an MU plugin: add_filter( 'aps_status_arg_public', '__return_true' ); add_filter( 'aps_status_arg_private', '__return_false' ); add_filter( 'aps_status_arg_exclude_from_search', '__return_false' );
Yes, simply add these hooks to your theme’s functions.php file or as an MU plugin: add_filter( 'aps_status_arg_public', '__return_false' ); add_filter( 'aps_status_arg_private', '__return_false' ); add_filter( 'aps_status_arg_show_in_admin_all_list', '__return_false' ); Please note that there is a bug in core that requires public and private to be set to false in order for the aps_status_arg_show_in_admin_all_list to also be false. There are many bugs in core surrounding registering custom post statuses, so if something doesn’t work the way you want on the first try be prepared to do some digging through trac 🙂
Yes, simply add this hook to your theme’s functions.php file or as an MU plugin: function my_aps_excluded_post_types( $post_types ) { $post_types[] = 'my_custom_post_type'; return $post_types; } add_filter( 'aps_excluded_post_types', 'my_aps_excluded_post_types' );
Actually, no, they are not the same thing. The Draft status is a “pre-published” status that is reserved for content that is still being worked on. You can still make changes to content marked as Draft, and you can preview your changes. The Private status is a special kind of published status. It means the content is published, but only certain logged-in users can view it. The Archived post status, on the other hand, is meant to be a “post-published” status. Once a post has been set to Archived it can no longer be edited or viewed. Of course, you can always change the status back to Draft or Publish if you want to be able to edit its content again.
Yes, there is nothing wong with trashing old content. And the behavior of the Archived status is very similar to that of trashing. However, WordPress automatically purges trashed posts every 7 days (by default). This is what makes the Archived post status handy. You can unpublish content without having to delete it forever.


33 reviews

Rating breakdown

Details Information



First Released

05 Jan, 2015

Total Downloads


Wordpress Version

3.8 or higher

Tested up to:


Require PHP Version:






The information provided in this THEME/PLUGIN DIRECTORY is made available for information purposes only, and intended to serve as a resource to enable visitors to select a relevant theme or plugin. wpSocket gives no warranty of any kind, express or implied with regard to the information, including without limitation any warranty that the particular theme or plugin that you select is qualified on your situation.

The information in the individual theme or plugin displayed in the Directory is provided by the owners and contributors themselves. wpSocket gives no warranty as to the accuracy of the information and will not be liable to you for any loss or damage suffered by you as a consequence of your reliance on the information.

Links to respective sites are offered to assist in accessing additional information. The links may be outdated or broken. Connect to outside sites at your own risk. The Theme/Plugin Directory does not endorse the content or accuracy of any listing or external website.

While information is made available, no guarantee is given that the details provided are correct, complete or up-to-date.

wpSocket is not related to the theme or plugin, and also not responsible and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages of any kind, arising out of the use, reference to, or reliance on, any information or business listed throughout our site.

Keep Leading Your Followers!
Share it for them.